Where can I find Civil War records?


The Indiana State Library has a copy of the rosters of Union and Confederate soldiers, 1861-1865 as well as a copy of the Adjutant General's reports for Indiana as well as many other states. Also, the Indiana State Archives has state records of Indiana soldiers who served in the Civil War, including muster rolls.

Many military records were created at the national level and thus are held by the National Archives. Some of these records have been made available through Fold3 and FamilySearch, but many have not yet been digitized.  The Indiana State Library provides in-house access to Fold3, and is also a FamilySearch Affiliate Library.

  • Last Updated Sep 24, 2021
  • Views 21
  • Answered By Stephanie Asberry

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0 0

Contact Us

Toll Free 866-683-0008
Toll Free 866-683-0008
Phone 317-232-3675
Phone 317-232-3675

Submit a Question

Your Info
Your Question
Confirmation Email
Fields marked with * are required.